교육동행

너.. 나.. 우리.. 2016.11.22 09:00

글쓴이 Andy Shin 교사

eea8e3bd28306b43c716b1e98ae5c01b.jpg

이웃!

세상 어디를 가도 주변에 사람이 있습니다. 사람이 넘치도록 있어도 단 한명도 똑같은 사람은 없습니다. 각자는 특별한 성격, 특징, 꿈 등을 가지고 있습니다. 같은 인생과 생각을 가지고 있는 사람은 존재하기가 불가능합니다. 물론 태어나기 전부터 정해져 있는 부분들이 있으나 어린 시절에 작은 영향에도 변하고 성장하여 현재의 결정적인 순간들을 보내고 있는 많은 학생들이 새로남기독학교를 다니고 있습니다.

교실에 들어오면 친구들의 큐티 책을 챙겨주는 아이들로부터 하교시간에 바닥과 의자 정리를 도와주는 친구들까지 다양한 모습을 지니고 있습니다. 각자가 다른 모습을 나타내도 모두의 공통점은 믿음의 가정 안에서 커가며 신앙을 삶의 바탕으로 배우고 있다는 것입니다. 이런 이유에서인지 아이들이 대화하는 내용을 들어보면 솔직하고, 남에게 관심이 많고, 예수님을 자주 언급합니다. 그런 상황을 볼 때마다 놀랍고, 특별하다는 생각을 자주 합니다. 아이들이 청소년이 되고, 그 다음 어른이 되어 가족의 신앙이 아닌 자신의 신앙으로 구원을 확신하고, 자신의 믿음으로 자라면, 현재 어린 아이로서 남에게 보여주는 관심이 세상을 돕고 주도하는 역할로 성장할 것이라고 믿습니다.

!

하지만 아이들이 성경말씀을 통하여 남을 돕고 선한 행동을 배워도 하나님의 모습이 아닌 자기 자신만의 생각과 행동을 할 때가 종종 있습니다. 성경말씀의 가르침을 기억하지 못하고 자기 욕심과 자기 고집을 내세움으로써 갈등하고 서로 부딪히는 모습들도 볼 수가 있습니다. 아직 남에 대한 공감과 남을 이해해주는 모습이 부족하여 발생하는 모습 같습니다. 예를 들어 체육 시간이나 교실 안에서 경쟁할 경우, 잘하고 싶거나 이기고 싶은 마음이 남을 배려하는 마음보다 앞서서 상처를 주는 경우가 있습니다. 하지만 아이들이 잠깐 멈추고 감정을 가라앉힌 후 책임감 있는 행동을 다시 하면 다른 사람에게 따뜻함을 전달할 뿐 아니라 자기 자신에게 선한 씨앗을 심어 자라나게 될 것입니다.

어느 학생이 다른 학생에게 불편함이나 마음의 상처를 주는 행동을 할 때 제가 주로 해 주는 말이 있습니다. “행동하기 전에 생각을 해 보아라. 그래도 계속하게 되면 너의 마음부터 변해야 하는 거야.” 주로 처음에는 친구의 입장을 생각해보고 역할을 바꿔 생각해보라고 합니다. 그러면 자신의 잘못을 깨닫고 다음부터 어떻게 해야 하는지 알게 된다고 이야기해 줍니다. 하지만 아이들은 알면서도 똑같은 일을 반복합니다. 그 때 저는 아이들에게 행동은 생각에서, 생각은 마음에서 나오지만, 마음속에 먹구름만 가득하면 좋은 생각과 행동이 나올 수 없다고 설명을 해줍니다. 그래서 생각만 아니라 마음부터 변해야하고 예수님을 닮아가는 변화가 있어야 한다고 말해줍니다. 저는 아이들이 예수님의 모습을 닮아가며 깨끗한 마음, 고운 생각, 그리고 그에 따른 고운 행동으로 성장하는 모습을 기다리고 있습니다.

공동체!

사람이 변한다는 것은 결코 쉽지 않고 긴 세월이 필요합니다. 왜냐하면 우리 모두가 부족하고, 우리의 힘만으로는 절대로 그 부족함을 채울 수 없기 때문입니다. 오직 하나님의 뜻과 인도하심을 통해서만 은혜로운 축복을 받을 수 있습니다. 아이들과 그러한 변화의 과정을 함께 보낼 수 있다는 것만으로도 큰 기쁨이 느껴지지 않습니까? 한 사람의 삶에 중요한 전환점을 함께 한다는 것은 감동적이고 기쁜 일입니다. 왜냐하면 서로 다른 삶을 살아도 한 순간을 함께 나누었기 때문입니다. 자신의 기쁨, 행복, 아픔 등등, 자신의 삶을 다른 사람들과 나누는 것이 공동체를 만들어가는 것입니다. 하나님은 우리를 혼자 생활하도록 창조하지 않으셨습니다.

하나님 품안에 하나가 되는 것이 우리 삶의 목적입니다. 우리 모두가 부족하지만 이해해주어야 하고, 함께 해주어야 하고, 서로를 붙잡아주는 역할을 해야 합니다. 자기 자신만 생각하면 안 됩니다. 우리의 이웃도 우리처럼 똑같이 부족하기에 우리는 서로가 필요합니다. 우리의 시간과 물질을 희생하더라도 결코 슬프지 않습니다. 왜냐하면 우리는 이제 함께 삶을 나누고, 함께 기쁨을 느끼며, 하나님 품안에서 한 공동체를 이루고 있기 때문입니다. 그래서 저는 새로남기독학교라는 아름다운 공동체에서 교사로 섬길 수 있다는 것을 매우 감사하게 느낍니다. 훌륭한 교사들과 함께 하고, 또한 아이들의 중요한 전환점을 함께 한다는 것이 매우 기쁩니다. 피곤하고 힘들 때가 있어도 우리 아이들의 웃음이 지쳐있는 제 자신을 일으켜 세워줍니다. 저에게 힘을 주는 우리 아이들, 우리 공동체를 저는 앞으로 계속 지원하고 돕고 싶고, 함께 삶을 나누고 싶습니다.

You. Me. Us.

Neighbors

The Earth is filled with people. From sheer numbers alone, it is unavoidable that one person will never be exactly the same as another. Any randomly chosen two people on the street will not have the exact same mind-set or lead identical lives. Each individual’s difference in personality, character, and dreams are partially shaped from birth by innate traits. But, of course, the most important influence that gradually molds each person is their childhood experience which ultimately changes their growth. Many students currently attending Saeronam Christian School are in their crucial stages of development.

These students have shown various qualities, from students who help pass out their friends’ QT books, to those who clean the floor and stack the chairs after school. Their different personalities have one common core, that they are raised by a Christian family, learning to build on a Christian world-view as their foundation. It may be due to this reason that whenever they interact with each other, I could feel their honesty, see their genuine interest in others, and often hear them mentioning Jesus Christ. It surprises me greatly and reminds me of how special they are. When the students grow older to become adolescents and eventually adults, I believe their own faith in the assurance of salvation a stronger belief than one simply handed down as tradition by their family will help them grow into a global leader.

Self

Even with these advantages and though the students continuously learn about Christian values from the Bible, they often show selfish actions that are against God’s will. By forgetting the lessons from the Bible and acting according to their own will, small fights and conflicts occur. The biggest cause is the lack of understanding and sympathy for others. For example, during P.E. class, or any class that is competitive, their determination to win and outdo their classmates are greater than their consideration for others’ feelings, which often results in tears and hurt feelings. Whenever I see students overreacting over small incidents, I am reminded that despite their maturity from a Christian upbringing, they are still very young and have a lot to learn. They have not learned to assess a situation outside of their own boxes and put themselves in someone else’s shoes.

Once the students stop to think, take a step back to calm their rising emotions, and act responsibly, they will recover warmth in their actions and nurture goodwill inside their hearts. If students have caused discomfort to each other or hurt another’s feelings, I say the same thing to all of them every time: “Think before you act. But if the same problem repeats, you need to have a change of heart.” The first advice I tell the students is to change their point of view and try to imagine the situation in the other person’s shoes. This thought process is to help them realize their wrongdoing so they might know how to act in the future when they face a similar situation. However, ideas do not easily transfer to reality, and students struggle to change though they know the right answer. That’s when I tell them the second advice. Actions come from thoughts and thoughts come from the heart. If the heart is filled with darkness, then it will never result in good thoughts and behaviors. It is not enough to know with your mind, but there needs to be first a change of heart to become like Jesus. Thus, I continue to wait for my students to have an intelligent mind, a clear heart, and actions that resemble Jesus Christ.

Community

It is not easy for a person to change and it usually takes a long period of time. We are incomplete beings, unable to fix our weaknesses with our own strength. Only through God’s will and guidance can we ever receive his fulfilling grace. Do you not feel happiness when you have witnessed the growth of a child? Being able to live and spend the part of their lives when it is a turning point for the better is an emotional and joyous experience. We all have our own lives to lead, but when our paths cross it has special meaning. Sharing our joys and sorrows creates a special community. God did not create us to be alone.

One of our major life’s purposes is to come together in God. We must be understanding of everyone’s weaknesses and show them support. We must not be hypocritical or self-serving. Even if we have to sacrifice our time and possessions, we should not let it weigh us down. The sacrifice will never go to waste in God who always uses everything for the good of His children. That is why I am very thankful to have the opportunity to serve as a teacher in a wonderful community, Saeronam Christian School. Working with great teachers and being part of the students’ turning point in their lives give me great joy. Whenever I am tired or struggling, the students give me the strength to keep going with just their smiles. I want to continuously support, help, and share my life with our students, and our community. 

댓글 1

잠시. 부모인 저 역시 회개하며,,
고운마음.... 속한 일상의 영역에서 자녀들과의 가정에서 가질수 있는 부모가 되어야겠습니다.

이러한 고운 마음을 심어주시기 위해 달려가는 선생님을 주님의 이름으로 축복합니다ㅣ.
선생님께 힘이되는 ! 아이들도 자라나길 또한 소원합니다.
오늘도 하나님 만드신 그 목적대로 살아갑니다. 샬롬
댓글
사소한 것이 아이를 키웁니다

이번 개교기념 행사를 하며 스피치 대회에 나가는 한 학생의 원고를 읽어보는데 마음이 따뜻해졌습니다. 외할아버지에 대한 사랑을 이야기하는 그 친구의 글에는 그분에 대한 추억들이 있었습니다. 외할아버지께서 지어주신 별명, 외할아버지 곁에 누워서 같이 퀴즈를 내고 풀었던 밤. 큰 선물이나 기억은 아니지만, 자잘한...

• 박지현 교사
친구와 마라톤

“선생님! 저 넘어져서 다리가 다쳤는데도 끝까지 달렸어요!” 한 학생이 절뚝거리며 마라톤 결승선에 도착해서 자랑스러운 목소리로 말했습니다. “그렇구나, 잘했어!” 저는 대수롭지 않게 말 한마디를 건네고는 결승선에 쏟아지듯 들어오는 학생들의 도착 시간을 체크하였습니다. 학교로 돌아와 마...

• 박혜숙 교사
질문과 답

반 전체가 이제 곧 다가올 마라톤을 위해 연습을 나가는 날이었습니다. 아이들과 같이 걸어가면서 많은 사람들과 어른들을 만났습니다. 저는 걸어가면서 우리 아이들이 지나가는 사람들, 어른들에게 ‘안녕하세요’ 라면서 당당하지만 예의 바른 목소리로 인사하는 것을 들었습니다. 아이들의 인사에 어른들은 미...

• Julie An 교사
작은 선생님들

교사인 저는 매일 아침 학교에 갑니다. 학교에서 아이들을 열심히 가르치고 지도합니다. 그런데 언젠가부터 저에게도 선생님이 생겼습니다. 교실에 있는 ‘작은 선생님들’입니다. 저의 ‘작은 선생님’들은 제가 소중한 것을 잊고 있을 때 삶을 통해 저를 일깨워 줍니다. 작은 선생님들을 통해 배운 ...

• 정유나 교사
세상이 뭐라해도

아버지가 어린 아들을 데리고 나간 산책로에서 버섯 군락지를 발견한다. 아버지는 그 버섯 중에 하나를 지팡이로 가리키며, "애야, 이건 독버섯이야. 먹으면 죽을 수도 있어." 하고 가르쳐 준다. 독버섯이라 지목된 버섯은 충격을 받고 쓰러진다. 옆에 있던 친구 버섯이 그를 위로한다. '넌 독버섯이 아니야. 네가 얼마...

• Jenn Kim 교사