교육동행

The Apple of His Eye 2019.10.17 11:21

글쓴이 Sean Yang 교사

Sean Yang.jpg

The Apple of His Eye

The seemingly never ending summer has come to an end and we're well into autumn. When one season ends and another begins, the changes in our environment are obvious; we see changes in the color of the trees, smell of the air, temperature on our skin, and even sounds of insects around us. As a teacher, it's easy to expect changes, growth, and maturation from our students from one semester to another. We want to see them improve in their academic abilities, relationships with classmates, and most importantly, become more like Jesus. Unfortunately, such growth is rare to witness in a short given time and such expectations often lead us to grief.

The truth is, as adults, we are just the same in the eyes of God. God desires us to grow spiritually, in intimacy with Him, and ultimately become more Christ-like. But in reality, many of us often find ourselves in a plateau or even backsliding our relationship with God. God, too, is grieved when we disobey.

What father isn’t? But because our God foresees our sins and failures, He does not say “I am disappointed in you”. Instead, He is gracious give us the free gift of forgiveness, love, and the indwelling Spirit. It is that grace that has the power to transform us in the midst of the sin in our lives.

When we are grieved by our students as teachers, we can either be disappointed and angry or we can remember God’s grace and allow that grace to transform them. Ultimately, it’s about our perspective towards our students. The perspective of the flesh leads to disappointments but the perspective of the Spirit leads to patience, joy, and true transformation. Just as God sees me as the “Apple of His Eye”, I believe it is my duty to see my students likewise.     

하나님의 눈동자

끝날 것 같지 않던 여름이 지나고 가을을 맞이했습니다. 우리는 계절의 변화를 다양하게 확인할 수 있습니다. 나무의 색, 공기의 냄새, 피부의 온도, 심지어 주변의 곤충 소리의 변화를 통해서도 계절의 변화를 감지할 수 있습니다.

교사는 학기가 변하면 학생들도 변화, 성장 및 성숙하기를 기대합니다. 학생의 학업 능력이 향상되고, 급우들과의 관계가 개선되고, 가장 중요한 것은 예수님과 같이 되기를 원합니다. 그러나 그러한 성장은 짧은 시간 내에 일어나기가 어렵기 때문에 종종 교사들을 슬프게 만듭니다.

하나님의 눈으로 볼 때 교사와 어른들도 이와 같습니다. 하나님께서는 우리가 그분과 친밀하고, 영적으로 성장해서 그리스도와 같이 되기를 원하십니다. 그러나 실제로 우리 중 많은 사람들이 성장과 변화 보다는 정체되거나 실족하며, 불순종해서 하나님을 근심케 합니다.

그러나 우리의 아버지 되신 하나님은 우리의 죄와 실패를 긍휼히 여기시고 “내가 너에게 실망했다”라고 하지 않습니다. 대신에 사랑으로 용서하시고, 내주하시는 성령님을 선물로 주십니다. 이것이 은혜이며, 죄 가운데서 우리를 변화시킬 수 있는 능력입니다.

교사는 학생들로 인해 슬퍼하고 실망되어 화가 날 때, 하나님의 은혜와 그 은혜로만 학생들이 변화된다는 것을 기억해야 합니다.

학생들을 육신의 관점으로 보면 실망이 되지만, 성령의 관점은 인내와 기쁨과 참된 변화를 가져옵니다.

하나님이 나를 “그분의 눈동자”로 보는 것처럼, 나 또한 학생들을 동일한 시선으로 보는 것이 나의 의무입니다.

댓글 0

Pray with a Thankful Heart

There are many times in life when things get out of hand, when the situation is incomprehensible, when nothing seems to go the way I expect it to go. Although I try to keep myself calm, I start to imagine the worst case scenario, which makes me worry and become frustrated about things that have not ...

• Gloria Choi 교사
포기하지 않는 마음

“선생님, 태어나서 처음으로 양발 모아뛰기 2번했어요.” “친구랑 연습하니까 이제 6번 넘을 수 있어요. 빨리 선생님한테 보여주고 싶어요.” 줄넘기에서 두발을 모으고 줄을 한번 돌려서 넘는 것을 양발 모아 뛰기라고 합니다. 누구든지 다 할 줄 아는 이 간단한 동작이 사실은 아주 복잡하고 어려...

• 손홍빈 교사
두 선생님

요즘 저는 수영을 배우고 있습니다. 원래 물에서 노는 것을 좋아하여 어느 정도 헤엄을 칠 수는 있지만 제대로 수영을 배우고 싶은 마음에 도전하게 되었습니다. 지난 여름, 초보반에서 첫 수업을 듣게 되었습니다. 화장기 없는 맨 얼굴에 딱 붙는 수영복과 수모를 착용한 제 모습이 너무 어색하기도 하고 처음이라 긴장이 ...

• 정유나 교사
The Apple of His Eye

The Apple of His Eye The seemingly never ending summer has come to an end and we're well into autumn. When one season ends and another begins, the changes in our environment are obvious; we see changes in the color of the trees, smell of the air, temperature on our skin, and even sounds of insec...

• Sean Yang 교사
우리 모두에게 다시 시작된 아빠캠프

“아빠를 위해 기도할 때 아빠가 나를 위해 일해주신다는 것을 깨달았고 하나님이 나를 만나주신 것 같은 느낌이 들었어요” “아빠캠프는 나에게 목숨을 줘도 팔 수 없는 귀한 시간이었어요. 나는 아빠께 까분 것을 눈물 흘리며 회개했고 하나님께 울며 진심으로 기도했어요.” 아빠캠프를 떠올리며 아...

• 박찬미 교사